Useful family history resource
School records – in particular, those of primary schools, are a useful family history resource. A large number of primary schools in Co. Wexford still retain their roll books and registers on-site, and they are often stored in unsuitable conditions which over time can hasten their deterioration and compromise their safety. Wexford County Archive is anxious to provide a safe place of deposit for these records, and is happy to liaise with schools in the transfer of their records to the county archive.
National School records
Primary school records are a relatively under-utilised resource – they can be exploited not only for family history purposes but in terms of research into the ratio of girls to boys in a particular school, in addition to the extra curricular activities undertaken by a particular school and the resultant skills acquired by the pupils. The main types of records generated by each school comprise the school register (clár leabhar); roll book (leabhar rollaí); and daily report book (leabhar tinrimh laethúil). Registers in particular can be of interest as they record the date of entrance of the pupil, his/her religious denomination, residence, occupation of parents, and name and county of the last national school the pupil attended. Other records include the district inspector’s observation book and the religious instruction book.
As these records can contain personal details of pupils, restricted access will apply to those records under 100 years old. Wexford County Archive holds archives for the following national schools:
- Model School, Enniscorthy, 1867-1950
- Gorey Central School, 1884-2008
- Killanne National School, 1879-1969
- Templeshanbo National School, 1896-1969
- Monart National School, 1893-1957
- Killegney National School, 1905-2012
- St. Canice’s National School, Rosbercon, New Ross, 1900-2000 (microfilm only)
Private school records
Wexford County Archive holds a number of small collections pertaining to private schools in Co. Wexford. They include:
- Endowed School, New Ross, 1847-93
- William Tate school, Wygram Place, Wexford, 1863-1960
Endowed School, New Ross
Collection of letters and testimonials relating to the post of master in the school, which was located in John Street, New Ross and was endowed by Sir John Ivory in 1713. Includes a document seeking Counsel’s opinion on the powers and duties vested in New Ross Town Commissioners under the original 1713 deed, in relation to its powers to appoint a new master, following the resignation of the previous master in 1868.
- Ref code: IE WXCA / NRTC /P1
- Title: Endowed School, New Ross
- Dates: 1847 – 1891
- Level of description: Finding aid
- Extent: 1 box
- Access: By appointment only